Iwaki, January 2020 — Tungaloy’s DrillMeister exchangeable-head drill line now includes new TID type drills in cylindrical shanks that accommodate drill head diameters ranging from 10.0 mm to 19.9 mm (from .398″ to .783″).
DrillMeister features a unique self-locking interface that interlocks between the drill head and shank body, enabling a simple and quick tool exchange. Operators can replace the drill head without having to remove the drill body from the adapter or re-measure tool offset vales, thus saving time. The drill head can be easily assembled while remaining on the machine. The drill body incorporates strong helical flutes with polished surfaces for reliable chip evacuation. This feature is especially important in deep hole drilling applications where smooth chip evacuation is vital.
The new TID drills are offered with a cylindrical shank. A precision-ground cylindrical shank with no flats provides a close runout accuracy and high torque transmission when clamped with a full surface contact in a high-precision collet chuck, milling chuck, or hydro-chuck holder.
In addition, all the new drills have longer shank lengths (LS) than the existing TID drill lines. Longer shanks enable more flexible adjustment of a drill overhang length when being clamped in the holder.
Hole making operations often require drills with a flute length that is way longer than the hole depth to be machined, just to avoid a fixture or structural interference. The new TID drill can provide an extended drill overhang by shifting out the shank clamping position in the holder, while retaining a minimum flute length necessary for smooth chip evacuation and tool stability.
Enhanced with the new drill line, DrillMeister provides customers with high productivity, reduced of tool inventory and elimination of regrinding costs.
- At a Glance
- Available drill diameters range from 10.0 mm to 19.9 mm (from .398″ to .783″) in increments of 0.1 mm (.004″) in 3.5xD-, 6xD-, and 8xD-length bodies
- Strong helical-flutes with a polished surface ensures smooth chip evacuation
- Unique self-locking interface enables a simple and quick tool changeover
- Clamping design with a fatigue-resistant receptacle on the drill body allows increased number of drill head changes
- Margined cutting edges provide close hole tolerances equivalent to those of solid carbide drills
- No reconditioning is needed – leading to reduced tool inventory and management, as well as elimination of regrinding costs
- Available with cylindrical shanks most suited for use with high-precision collet chucks, milling chucks, and hydro-chuck holders
- Long shank lengths enable the extension of drill overhang while retaining the minimum flute length
- Total of 45 drill bodies to be added